Friday, April 15, 2011

So, this is where it all begins?

This is a last-ditch effort to save myself from... myself. My current lot in life has me struggling with many issues, not that this is different from what anyone else is going through, but I've realized that my coping mechanism is no longer helping me to cope.

My way of coping with the day-to-day stressors, heartbreaks, confusions, and anxiety-inducing moments is to burrow deep into the always-welcoming arms of food.

Food is, and always has been, very welcome in my life -- whether in moments of actual hunger or not. The problem, though, is that food has become something more than a way to keep me alive and well, it has become more than the "occasional" indulgence in delicious decadence, it has become more than just three healthful meals a day. 

As of late, food has become my crutch, my weakness, my ever-present enemy, and it has held me at such a low point for too long. Recognizing this decline in my relationship with food, I knew I needed to take action.

Yes, I am significantly overweight, but this is not about a "diet." I am not starting this blog so that I can drop the 80 pounds and be "skinny," instead I am starting this blog so I can break through the psychological (for lack of a better word) side of my eating habits. Or, in other words, why is my relationship with food what it is and how can I change that? After I'm able to answer those questions, and feel good about the answers, then--and only then--can I work on long-lasting, sustainable physical changes and results.

If I don't allow myself the opportunity to work through the interior "stuff" then working on the exterior will only put me in a position to fail. If I don't understand the whys and hows of my Food Relationship then I'm infinitely more likely to undo any positive results by falling back into my old habits.

So, this is where I'm starting, but with a lot of hard work, a bunch of persistence, and a hearty dose of dedication this is not where I'll be ending.

- - - - -

"Never forget that once upon a time, in an unguarded moment, you recognized yourself as a friend."
[Elizabeth Gilbert: Eat Pray Love]

No comments:

Post a Comment